19 August 2014

Coconut Oil 5 Ways




Coconut Oil. It's everywhere at the moment and if you type the words into Google you will probably find 1001 ways to use it. When my Mum gave me my first tub last year I did just that and honestly, it was pretty overwhelming. Saying that, if someone told me I was going to a desert island and could only take one product, Coconut Oil would be top of my list. It really is a wonder product and over the past year I have started to use it in more and more ways. 

Here are the top 5 ways I use it daily:

1. Moisturiser. I have really sensitive and dry skin. I've suffered with eczema forever and at times it is truly painful. Over the years I have tried umpteen products (my mum jokes about how many half finished bottles of lotions and potions I have) and unfortunately, spent a lot of money and I wasn't any closer to finding something my skin actually liked. Coconut Oil is different though, it's completely natural, and whilst it does feel a bit strange at first to rub it into your skin I haven't found anything that even comes close. It absorbs quickly so you don't feel greasy or sticky and it's also kind of a bargain. I definitely feel like the oil treats my skin rather than just coats it and I have noticed that my skin doesn't get as dry any more.

2. Cleanser and Make Up Remover. This one goes hand and hand with the first. I do like washing my face (obviously!) and for that I use Lush's Angels on Bare Skin but I find coconut oil is an excellent make up remover and prefer to use that at night. I put some on a cotton pad and move it over my face and eyes, usually twice. It even gets rid of my very stubborn waterproof mascara and it's very gentle. It also moisturises at the same time. Bonus!

3. Conditioner  and Weekly Hair Mask. Coconut Oil makes a great conditioner. After shampooing simply apply a small amount (little fingernail kind of small) to the ends of your hair and then through the lengths. I would stay away from the roots unless they are particularly dry. Rinse out thoroughly. This can take some trial and error to get the right amount but it's worth it.

Before I started using coconut oil as a hair mask I was spending a lot of money on something that does the same thing but not as well. I was really sceptical about using oil on my hair because I thought it would make my fine hair lanky and greasy. Not the case. My preferred method is to put it on my ends and run some through the lengths of my hair before bedtime. I then plait it and go to sleep. In the morning I wash it out, you do need to shampoo a couple of times to make sure it's all out but my hair has never been smoother or as tangle-free. 

4. Lip Balm.  I use one of those little silver charity posts from Lush that used to have hand cream in and scooped in coconut oil instead. I always carry this in my bag and it's great for chapped lips or if my skin gets a little dry. This is trickier in the warmer weather as the oil melts and becomes messy, but as long as you don't open it upside down - like this person who wasn't paying attention - then it's fine.

5. Cook With It. This was one of the first things I did when I got my first jar. I switched my cooking oil for coconut oil. It's much healthier and you use it in exactly the same way. Byron is a fan of this and especially likes it with scrambled eggs. We also like to spread it on toast instead of butter. 

I hope this was somewhat helpful if you are reading this and was sitting on the coconut oil fence. It's a great product if you are someone with dry or sensitive (or both like me) or you just want to make more conscious choices about what you use on/in your body. 

I would recommend shopping around for a good price, personally I get mine from Amazon (currently using Biona) and I buy in bulk because I get through a lot. I like to have a jar in the bedroom for beauty stuff and another in the kitchen. The one in the bedroom will probably last me about 9 months, in the kitchen I get through a 400g jar every month or so. We are nuts for the stuff in this house.

Feel free to ask me any questions or queries you have. Whilst I'm no beauty expert I am quite well informed on dry skin conditions and treatments as it's something that I struggle with daily. 

What would be the one beauty product you would want to have if you were stranded on a desert island?

2 comments

  1. I've heard so much about coconut oil lately, and I'm so keen to try it! It's crazy expensive in the supermarket near me though, but buying it in bulk online seems really smart. Thanks for the tip!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you can use it as a beauty product, but eat it too. Ridiculous! I find coconut a little rich though, but I'd be keen to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

© The Toms House. Design by FCD.