27 April 2015

Baby Kale Green Smoothie Bowl



At the beginning of the year, in a bid to be a bit healthier, I switched out my usual breakfast of peanut butter on toast for something much more satisfying, oats. I love oatmeal and I've been enjoying it for months, it keeps me full and is very versatile, even if I do tend to just cover it in maple syrup. Don't judge me. However, with the mornings getting brighter, and the days getting longer, I have traded in the oatmeal for the much more nutritious smoothie bowl. 

I prefer smoothie bowls - as opposed to the ones you just pour into a glass - because they are just much more of a meal, you can sprinkle on top whatever you want and it definitely keeps me fuller for longer. I've typically already had 3 of my 5 a day at breakfast and I have noticed feeling much more energetic throughout the morning.

I usually throw some baby spinach in with whatever smoothie I make so when Florette Salad* asked me to try their baby kale instead, I was itching to try something a bit different which was still full of iron, antioxidants and lots of vitamins. In my opinion baby kale is superior to regular kale as you can eat it raw straight out of the bag, making it perfect for a smoothie and it's not as strong a flavour either. 

The downside for me was that it's not available everywhere yet, I got mine from Tesco but apart from Waitrose also selling it here it's quite hard to get hold of. I'm hoping as people become much more aware of how easy it is to incorporate baby kale into their diets, it will be more readily available. Florette has some great Summer salad recipes on their website which I also urge you to check out, I am planning on trying the raw slaw with the rest of my bag.



Baby Kale Green Smoothie Bowl - serves 1 generously

1 mango (chopped and frozen the night before to make the smoothie cold)
1/2 banana
1 large handful of baby kale
1/2 cup of almond milk - or milk of your preference
2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt (for the awesome pro-biotic goodness)
1 tablespoon of coconut oil - optional

Blend all the ingredients together and then top with whatever you feel like. 

For this particular smoothie I used desiccated coconut, chia and pumpkin seeds but I think that some mixed berries or other fruit topping would also work really well so enjoy experimenting with different combinations.

What's your favourite healthy weekday breakfast?


* This was a sponsored post by Florette Salad but if I didn't love the product then I wouldn't blog it.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© The Toms House. Design by FCD.