9 September 2016

August Reads









 In August I finally joined the local library and I didn't realise how much I missed actual, physical books until I was stood inside practically inhaling them. I spent a long time looking around all of the shelves and whilst it's not large, there is still plenty of choice. I picked the two below and as I really enjoy reading book round-ups on other blogs, I thought I would post some here as a way of being accountable and making a commitment to read more instead of letting other things take priority.

The Teashop on the Corner - Milly Johnson

At her beloved husband's funeral, Carla Pride discovers that Martin never divorced his first wife and has been living a double life with her. And his other wife, Julie Pride, is determined to take everything from Carla - her home, her money, and her memories.


When Will Linton's business goes bust he at least thinks that with the support of his trophy wife Nicole he will rise to the top again. But Nicole isn't going to stick around with 'a loser' and Will finds himself at rock bottom.

Molly Jones is being bullied into going into a retirement home by her 'concerned' daughter-in-law Sherry and son Gram. Then the love of Molly's life walks in through her door - a man who broke Molly's heart into little pieces many years ago. But he says he is dying and wants to spend the time he has left with her.

All people in need of a little love and compassion which they find by chance in the stationery and teashop on the corner run by the ever-cheerful Leni, a woman that site developer Shaun McCarthy finds annoying beyond annoying for her ability to remain unrealistically upbeat about everything.

But is the world of Leni Merryman as full of rainbows and sparkles as everyone thinks? Or is her smile papering over many cracks in her heart that will soon be shattered unwittingly by her new friends?

According to Goodreads I hadn't read a book since way back in April! I have always been a reader but somehow it fell by the wayside. As a way of easing back in to it I picked up a book with a pretty cover, a cute name and something outside of my usual preference. I enjoy books which are written from different perspectives and seeing how those perspectives come together into a bigger picture. It was a sweet book and I did feel invested in the characters throughout and was rooting for them to succeed. 

3/5


The Monogram Murders - Hannah Sophie

Hercule Poirot's quiet supper in a London coffeehouse is interrupted when a young woman confides to him that she is about to be murdered.  She is terrified – but begs Poirot not to find and punish her killer. Once she is dead, she insists, justice will have been done.


Later that night, Poirot learns that three guests at a fashionable London Hotel have been murdered, and a cufflink has been placed in each one’s mouth. Could there be a connection with the frightened woman? While Poirot struggles to put together the bizarre pieces of the puzzle, the murderer prepares another hotel bedroom for a fourth victim...

Picked up for it's connection to Agatha Christie, I had high hopes. Of course that might have actually been it's downfall. Whilst Christie's estate gave their blessing, it felt strange reading about a Poirot which was written by someone else. It just wasn't the same and I found the story to be much too predictable and it took me a really long time to get through it. I forced myself through to the end hoping that I would be wrong, unfortunately, I just wasn't. 

2/5

Post a Comment

Instagram

© The Toms House. Design by FCD.